Postdoctoral Researcher for the Opus project: Quantum open systems and thermodynamical resource theory
Project financed by the National Science Center
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Post-doctoral Researchers to work in the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT).
The project aims at developing dynamical and kinematic approach to quantum thermal machines. In dynamical approach, evolution is described by Hamiltonian (or derived from it evolution equations) while in kinematic approach the processes are described by discrete unitary transformations, or completely positive maps executed by external agent, belonging to a suitable (thermodynamically motivated) class. I.e. by kinematic approach we mean resource theoretic approach to quantum thermodynamics. The two approaches are complementary. The dynamical approach is close to the physical realm of quantum thermal machines, but often requires numerics, and usually does not allow for proving general statements – one has to usually confine to specific models. The kinematic approach – inheriting methods from quantum information - although often does not refer to common experimental situations, allows to obtain analytical results, especially concerning limitations as well as optimization over possible processes. Thus it is important to develop both approaches and possible interconnections. The main objectives will be contained in the following tasks: dynamics,
If you would like any further details about the project or the advertised position then please feel free to get in contact with Michał Horodecki (michal.horodecki[at]ug.edu.pl) for a chat.
ICTQT was created in 2018 within the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science co-financed by the European Union from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3). The founders of ICTQT are Marek Żukowski (the director) and Paweł Horodecki (the research group leader). The Centre’s official partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
The Centre consists of 6 research groups:
- Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Żukowski);
- New Quantum Resources (leader Paweł Horodecki);
- Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz);
- New Quantum Resources and Thermodynamics (leader Michał Horodecki);
- Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski);
- Quantum Open Systems in Relation to Quantum Optics (leader Łukasz Rudnicki).
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation and discussion of ideas and results with a diverse audience at the ICTQT and at the external events.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD students.
- Participation in activities organized by the ICTQT.
- Active participation in seminars, group meetings, etc.
- PhD degree in physics, mathematics, computer science or philosophy (PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later).
- The candidate should be interested in mathematical and conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics and quantum information, and related topics, especially those which are within the research agenda of the project.
- The candidate should be committed to working collaboratively within inclusive and diverse environment.
- Good written and oral communication skills are appreciated.
- Full-time employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International
Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk.
- Scientific and organizational support.
- Basic equipment and core facilities.
- Friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment.
- The start date of employment is negotiable, the employment period may be extended after an evaluation.
- Filled-in recruitment form.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF files
of three most important papers by the candidate (or just web links, in the
case of open access publications); a list of invited talks at conferences and
workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
- Motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests) – up to
- Documents confirming scientific degrees (copy of PhD diploma, or
- Name and contact details (e-mail addresses) to two senior researchers who
may provide reference for the candidate. The candidate is expected to
contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to
ictqt[at]ug.edu.pl. The letters must be sent before the
- A Post-Doctoral position can be offered to candidates who received their PhD degree in 2015 or later.
- The interview is expected May-June 2022.
- ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) reserves the right to invite for the interview only pre-selected candidates.
- The SC decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
- The SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
- The SC will announce its decision within 3 months from the date of recruitment completion.
- In the event of resignation from accepting the position of the selected candidate, the SC has the right to send the offer to the person placed on the reserve list, and in the absence of such a list, the SC has the right to reconsider the applications submitted to the competition and to indicate a new candidate.
Please submit the documents via email to ictqt[at]ug.edu.pl