Postdoctoral Researcher for the Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies Group
Project title: Foundations of quantum computational advantage – FoQaCiA
The project is financed from the Horizon Europe Framework Programme (HORIZON), granted by the European Commission, within the type of action HORIZON Research and Innovation Actions (HORIZON-RIA ) - call Digital and emerging technologies for competitiveness and fit for the green deal (HORIZON-CL4-2021-DIGITAL-EMERGING-01).
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Post-doctoral Researcher to work in the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT), in the Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies led by Ana Belen Sainz.
The selected candidate will work on foundational questions of quantum computation, such as
- What non-classical feature of physical systems powers quantum advantage?
- How can such a resource be certified?
Keywords: process theories, resource theories, Bell nonlocality, contextuality, quantum computation.
More information on the scope of the group may be found at www.fuqt.eu
More about all research groups at: https://ictqt.ug.edu.pl/
ICTQT was created in 2018 within the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science co-financed by the European Union from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3). The founders of ICTQT are Marek Żukowski (the director) and Paweł Horodecki (the research group leader). The Centre’s official partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
The Centre consists of 6 research groups:
- Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Żukowski);
- New Quantum Resources (leader Paweł Horodecki);
- Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz);
- New Quantum Resources and Thermodynamics (leader Michał Horodecki);
- Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski);
- Quantum Open Systems in Relation to Quantum Optics (leader Łukasz Rudnicki).
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation and discussion of ideas and results with a diverse audience at the ICTQT and at the external events.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD and Master students.
- Participation in activities organized by the ICTQT.
- Participation in seminars, group meetings, and other activities of scientific exchange.
- PhD degree in physics, mathematics, computer science or philosophy (PhD degree obtained in 2015 or later).
- The candidate should be interested in mathematical and conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics and quantum information, and related topics, especially those which are within the research agenda of the group (see www.fuqt.eu)
- The candidate should be committed to working collaboratively within inclusive and diverse environment.
- Some experience in numerical calculation/optimization is welcome.
- Good written and oral communication skills are appreciated.
- Full-time employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International
Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk. . The start date of employment is negotiable, the employment period may be extended after an evaluation.
- Scientific and organizational support.
- Basic equipment and core facilities.
- Friendly, inspiring, and interdisciplinary environment, which features close connections to the National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and the Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
- Integration into an interdisciplinary team of Canada-wide and European scientists: UBC (Raussendorf), Ottawa (Broadbent), Waterloo (Yard), SFU (de Silva), INL Portugal (Galvão, Barbosa), UCL (Abramsky), Stockholm (Bengtsson), Granada (Bermejo-Vega), Sevilla (Cabello), Bilkent (Okay).
- Filled-in recruitment form.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (esp. those in which the candidate was the principal investigator); PDF files of three most important papers by the candidate (or just web links, in the case of open access publications); a list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards;
- Motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests) – up to 2 pages;
- Documents confirming scientific degrees (copy of PhD diploma, or
- Name and contact details (e-mail addresses) to two senior researchers who may provide reference for the candidate. The candidate is expected to
contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to
ictqt[at]ug.edu.pl. The letters must be sent before the deadline.
- The recruitment procedure has two stages:
- Pre-selection candidates by the Selection Commission (SC), based on the application form;
- Interview of the pre-selected candidates by the SC;
- A postdoctoral position can be offered to candidates who received their PhD degree in 2015 or later.
- The interview is expected in November 2022.
- The SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
- The SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
- The decision will be made by the SC within 3 months from the date of recruitment completion.
- In the event of resignation from accepting the position of the selected candidate, the SC has the right to send the offer to the person placed on the reserve list, and in the absence of such a list, the SC has the right to reconsider the applications submitted to the competition and to indicate a new candidate.
Please submit the documents via email to ictqt[at]ug.edu.pl
advert posted on October 13th, 2022
Euraxess link: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/848674