About the project
We are looking for two enthusiastic and motivated Post-doctoral Researchers to work in the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT) of the University of Gdańsk.
ICTQT was created in 2018 within the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science co-financed by the European Union from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3). The founders of ICTQT are Marek Zukowski as the director, and Pawel Horodecki as a co-applicant. The Centre’s official partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
The Centre consists of 6 research groups: Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Zukowski); New Quantum Resources (leader Paweł Horodecki); Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz); New Quantum Resources and Thermodynamics (leader Michał Horodecki); Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski); Quantum Open Systems in Relation to Quantum Optics (leader Łukasz Rudnicki).
In particular, the competition is aimed at scientists whose interests are in line with the research plan of the New Quantum Resources Group led by Paweł Horodecki and the Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication Group led by Marcin Pawłowski. Positions are offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdansk within the implementation of the project “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies” (contract no. MAB/2018/5). The project is financed by the Foundation for Polish Science from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3) under the International Research Agendas Programme.
More information on the scope of ICTQT groups may be found at www.ictqt.ug.edu.pl.
- Active scientific research.
- Presentation and discussion of ideas and results with a diverse audience at ICTQT and at external events.
- Participation in mentoring of PhD and Master students.
- Participation in activities organised by ICTQT.
- Participation in seminars, group meetings, and other activities of scientific exchange.
- PhD degree in physics, mathematics, computer science or philosophy (PhD degree obtained in 2018 or later).
- The candidate should be interested in conceptual foundations of quantum mechanics, quantum optics and quantum information theory and related topics.
- The candidate should be committed to working collaboratively within an inclusive and diverse environment.
- Some experience in numerical calculation/optimization is welcome.
- Good written and oral communication skills are appreciated.
- Full-time employment in a rapidly developing unit, the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies at the University of Gdansk.
- The start date of employment is negotiable, the employment period may be extended after an evaluation;
- Scientific and organizational support;
- Basic equipment and core facilities;
- Friendly, inspiring, and interdisciplinary environment, which features close connections to the National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK) and the Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
All required documents should be prepared in English:
- Filled-in recruitment form
- Curriculum vitae;
- A research resume with a list of publications, and a list of research projects (if any) in which the candidate took part (with specification of the role);
- PDF files of the three most relevant papers by the candidate (or just web links, in the case of open access publications);
- a list of invited talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of academic prizes and awards (if any);
- Motivation letter (including statement of current scientific interests)– up to 2 pages;
- Documents confirming academic degrees (a copy of a PhD diploma or a certificate of obtaining the title or confirmation of the planned date of defense (no later than 3 months from the date of announcement of the competition)).
- NOTE: Before signing the employment contract, the person selected in the competition requested to submit to the University of Gdańsk the original of the PhD diploma. At the stage of employment, other documents will not be honoured;
- Name and contact details (e-mail addresses) of two senior researchers who may provide reference letters on behalf of the candidate (the candidate is expected to contact the referees and ask them to send reference letters directly to email@example.com. The letters must be sent before the deadline).
- A postdoctoral position can be offered to candidates who received their PhD degree in 2018 or later.
- An interview is expected at the turn of May and June.
- ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) reserves the right to invite for the interview only pre-selected candidates.
- The SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
- The SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
- The decision will be made by the SC within 3 months from the date of recruitment completion.
- In the event of resignation from accepting the position of the selected candidate, the SC has the right to send the offer to the person placed on the reserve list, and in the absence of such a list, the SC has the right to reconsider the applications submitted to the competition and to indicate a new candidate.
Please submit the documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job entry on Euraxess: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/773651