Researcher for project Maestro no. 2021/42/A/ST2/00356
Project title: Relativistic causality and information processing
Positions are offered by the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies of the University of Gdańsk within the implementation of the project “Relativistic Causality and Information Processing" (contract no. 2021/42/A/ST2/00356). The project is financed by the National Science Centre (NCN) under the MAESTRO-13 programme.
We are looking for a Senior Researcher to work in the New Quantum Resources Group led by Prof. Paweł Horodecki at the International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies (ICTQT) hosted by the University of Gdańsk (UG) - pioneering and leading center of quantum information research in Poland.
About the project
The project’s central goal is to study the information-processing properties within the broad framework of „within-and-beyond-quantum” theories (relativistic quantum physics, PR-boxes, GPTs, etc.). To this end and intergrative methodology combining the tools from i.a. quantum information, quantum field theory, relativity and cryptography will be developed. Finally, protocols for physical implementations and/or simulations of some of the theoretical findings will be developed.
About the group
The broad aim of the New Quantum Resources Group would be to perform research concerning quantum phenomena that could be used for quantum information processing.
Exemplary goals of the group are:
- Connections between quantum computational speedup and contextuality/Bell-“nonlocality”
- New protocols on randomness amplification
- Research on communication networks
- Connections between violations of Bell inequalities and of non-contextuality and the quantum advantage in communication complexity
- Quantum batteries as open quantum systems
- Relativistic quantum information processing
ICTQT was created in 2018 within the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science co-financed by the European Union from the funds of the Smart Growth Operational Programme, axis IV: Increasing the research potential (Measure 4.3). The founders of ICTQT are Marek Żukowski (the director) and Paweł Horodecki (the research group leader). The Centre’s official partner is IQOQI-Vienna of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
The Centre consists of 6 research groups:
- Multiphoton Quantum Optics for Quantum Information (leader Marek Żukowski);
- New Quantum Resources (leader Paweł Horodecki);
- Foundational Underpinnings of Quantum Technologies (leader Ana Belen Sainz);
- New Quantum Resources and Thermodynamics (leader Michał Horodecki);
- Quantum Cybersecurity and Communication (leader Marcin Pawłowski);
- Quantum Open Systems in Relation to Quantum Optics (leader Łukasz Rudnicki).
- Active scientific research.
- Discussion and presentation of ideas and results with a diverse audience at ICTQT and at external events.
- Participation in seminars, group meetings, and other activities of scientific exchange.
- Participation in activities organized by ICTQT.
- The candidate should hold a PhD degree in physics, computer science, mathematics or philosophy.
- The candidate should present a proven scientific record.
- The candidate should have experience in at least one of the following domains: operator algebras, quantum information, quantum field theory.
- The candidate should be committed to working collaboratively within inclusive and diverse environment.
- The candidate should have good written and oral communication skills.
- Work in a rapidly developing, world class research centre.
- Monthly gross salary together with social security and health insurance up to PLN 2 000,00 (part-time employment).
- Employment up to 48 months (subject to periodical evaluation after one year).
- The start date of employment is negotiable (planned start date 01.01.2023).
- Possibility of accommodation with the family.
- Scientific and organisational support.
- Basic equipment and core facilities.
- Friendly, inspiring, interdisciplinary environment, including “entanglement” with National Centre for Quantum Information (KCIK: https://kcik.ug.edu.pl/) and Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics (IFTiA) at UG.
All required documents should be prepared in English:
- Recruitment form.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A research resume with a list of research projects in which the candidate took part (with specification of the role); PDF files of 3 most important publications; A list of talks at conferences and workshops, and a list of prizes and awards.
- Documents confirming scientific degrees (scan of the PhD diploma).
- The recruitment procedure has two stages:
- Pre-selection candidates by the Selection Commission (SC), based on send documents;
- Interview of pre-selected candidates by SC;
- The positions is offered to candidates who received their PhD.
- The interview is expected in December 2022.
- ICTQT Selecting Commission (SC) reserves the right to invite for the interview only pre-selected candidates.
- The SC’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
- The SC reserves the right to close the competition without selecting a candidate.
- The decision will be made by the SC within 2 months from the date of recruitment completion.
- In the event of resignation from accepting the position of the selected candidate, the SC has the right to send the offer to the person placed on the reserve list, and in the absence of such a list, the SC has the right to reconsider the applications submitted to the competition and to indicate a new candidate.
Please submit the documents via email to ictqt[at]ug.edu.pl
Advert posted on November 2nd, 2022.